About the website

Read about accessibility and how to search the website. You can also learn more about the use of cookies and the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).

Personal Data, GDPR

From 25 May 2018, the EU’s General Data Protection Regulation 2016/679 (GDPR) comes into effect as the law in all EU member states. Sweden has also enacted supplemental legislation in the form of the Data Protection Act (2018:218). The Swedish Higher Education Authority (UKÄ) follows all applicable data protection legislation when processing personal data.

UKÄ handles the personal data that you yourself transmit (via for example forms) on the website, according to the General Data Protection Regulation.

You have the right to, at any time, claim the information we have stored about you and demand corrections in that data.

You can find out more on the Swedish Authority for Privacy Protection website.

When does UKÄ collect your personal data?

When you contact UKÄ, you submit personal data to the authority. When this occurs, UKÄ needs to save and process your personal data. You provide your personal data, for example, when you:

  • send email messages to UKÄ;
  • submit a question using the form “Ask the legal experts” on UKÄ’s website;
  • submit a complaint using the “Web complaint form” on UKÄ’s website;
  • register for conferences and other events organised by UKÄ;
  • order printed material;
  • subscribe to UKÄ’s newsletter by email;
  • apply for a job through the website;
  • create a login for one of the services accessible through the website (such as UKÄ Direkt and UKÄ Bedömarvy);
  • apply for degree-awarding powers.

How does UKÄ process the personal data that you submit?

The personal data that UKÄ processes about you can include name, postal address, email address, phone number and other personal data that you submit when you contact UKÄ. The purpose with processing the data is to manage and conduct the work assigned to UKÄ. The legal grounds for processing your personal data is UKÄ’s need to conduct work of a public interest but it can also be based on UKÄ’s exercise of its official authority, to adhere to an agreement or that you have agreed that we do so. Your personal data will be saved and deleted in accordance with applicable regulations for public information or otherwise when the personal data is no longer needed for the purpose of its processing. However, UKÄ does not save your personal data longer than is necessary.

UKÄ does not share your personal data with other companies or organisations and does not use this data for other purposes than what was stated at the time of your submission of the personal data. UKÄ, however, does have agreements with certain data processors that may process personal data on request by UKÄ. UKÄ can also share your personal data with a third-party if the authority is required to do so by law.

What rights do you have?

You have the right to contact UKÄ if you want information about what personal data UKÄ processes about you (known as a register extract). Contact UKÄ, preferably in writing by mail or email, indicating your name, personal ID number, mail address, phone number and email address (which has been used in previous communications with UKÄ). The register extract will normally be sent at no charge to your official address within one month. If your request is complicated, however, it may take longer. If your request is obviously baseless or of excessive character, UKÄ may charge a reasonable fee or refuse to meet your request.

You can also contact UKÄ if you would like to request a correction or erasure of your personal data, request a limitation of processing or objection to processing of your personal data and request that your personal data is moved. UKÄ, however, must point out that it is always required to follow regulations applicable to public agencies on such things as public documents, public information and confidentiality, registration, archiving and deleting. If you have complaints on UKÄ’s processing of your personal data, you have the right to submit a complaint to the Swedish Authority for Privacy Protection, which is the relevant supervisory authority. You can read more about your rights in articles 12–22 in the EU’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) or on the Swedish Authority for Privacy Protection website.

Contacting UKÄ and the data protection officer

UKÄ is the data controller. You can contact UKÄ by sending a letter, e-mail or calling.

You can contact the data protection officer by e-mail: dso.uka@insatt.com

Accessibility report

The Swedish Higher Education Authority is behind this website. We want everyone to be able to use uka.se so please contact us if you feel that there are shortcomings so that we can fix them.

Contact us on accessibility issues

This is how uka.se complies with the law on accessibility to digital public services

We are constantly working on the accessibility of uka.se and we know that there are several areas for improvement.

Accessibility issues we are currently working on

  • There are forms that can be difficult to use with screen readers when there is an error message.
  • Parts of the content on onh.se can be displayed in different ways depending on which browser you use.
  • Tables may not work well with screen readers.

DIGG – The authority for digital administration

DIGG is responsible for the law on accessibility to digital public services. You can report a lack of availability to DIGG.

Go to digg.se to report a lack of availability or read more.


We use cookies on this site to collect statistics on a general level. Cookies are a small text file stored on your computer when visiting a website. The text file contains information about your visit to a web site, but no personal data.

Manage third-party cookies

If you do not want to save third-party cookies, you can manage or block cookies through your browser. Most browsers can be configured so that you can completely block the use of cookies. You can also choose to set your browser to actively accept each time a website sends a new cookie to your computer. How to set these settings differs between different browsers.

The websites of UKÄ are licensed under a Creative Commons Acknowledgement.

All the text on the website is covered by the copyright legislation but it is allowed for you to copy and reuse as long as you state theis original source. We kindly ask you to also state the url and the date when you copied the text.

It is not allowed to download images and videos without a written permission. Please contact registrator@uka.se for further information.


  • If texts in printed material differ from texts published online, the online version is to be considered as the correct version.
  • UKÄ does not have any responsibility for incorrect information on sites that we link to from this website.

This page was last updated 9 March 2023