Complaints about higher education institutions

The Swedish Higher Education Authority is a regulatory authority with oversight of public sector higher education institutions and with a focus on students’ rights. If you feel a higher education institution has violated a law or regulation related to higher education, you can file a complaint with us.

Attempt to solve the problem with the higher education institution

Before filing a complaint with us, you must have first attempted to solve the problem with the higher education institution. Begin by discussing the problem with your teacher. If this does not help, you can contact the course director or programme coordinator. If the problem is still unresolved, contact the head of department or equivalent. As a final step, you can contact the vice-chancellor. If you have not taken advantage of these opportunities to resolve the problem, UKÄ will not investigate your complaint.

If you are a student, you can contact the students’ union for help and advice. Some higher education institutions also have a student representative (ombudsman) that can provide advice and support.

UKÄ is not obligated to investigate all complaints. We determine which complaints are to be examined more closely.

  • We do not investigate anonymous complaints.
  • We do not investigate complaints about events more than two years in the past.
  • We cannot change your grades or comment on teacher assessments of your study performance.
  • We will not investigate the complaint if it deals with issues that are the responsibility of other public authorities. This can include such things as actions related to financial damages, labour laws and discrimination.

Other public agencies and links to their websites are available on the page “The role of other authorities”.

This page was last updated 14 June 2023